How to unlock JioFi device?
Looking for how to unlock JioFi device? You’re the the right place. Until recently it was not possible to unlock the JioFi and use other carriers like Airtel, BSNL, Vodafone, Idea and MTNL etc. Thanks to @abhimortal6, he reversed engineered two variants of JioFi (JMR 540 & JMR 541) and he successfully unlock both of them. So let’s begin with understanding how you can unlock the JioFi device yourself.
JioFi JMR540 Unlock Firmware Download
I am not responsible for any kind of damage to your device.
Use this firmware at your own risk
Post is for educational purpose only.
ONLY FOR JMR 540 & JMR 541
Here’s what you’ll need to unlock JioFi device:
- Windows PC
- Fastboot drivers (Click here to download)
- Minimal ADB and fastboot (Click here to download)
- A USB cable
- A SIM Ejector tool
- Unlocked firmware for JioFi (Download links below)
Unlocked Firmware’s (Download Links)
Prepare your computer for unlocking the JioFi device:
- Extract all downloaded files to desktop : fastboot drivers, minimal ADB & fastboot & JioFi firmware image.
- Install fastboot drivers (open the extracted file, allow administrator privileges if asked, press Y as many times as it asks during the installation)
- Now open the extracted minimal ADB & fastboot folder and install the application as you usually do with any app you install. Tick create a shortcut on desktop while installing.
Prepare your JioFi device for unlocking
- Remove inserted battery, SIM card & SD card from the JioFi device.
- Connect your JioFi device to the computer using a good quality USB cable.
- Now you’ll see the JioFi device boots up without the battery. (If it doesn’t boot up after connecting to computer via the USB cable please press power button and hold until it boots up)
- One the JioFi boots up you’ll need to boot into the “fastboot mode”.
- To boot it into fastboot mode use the sim ejector tool. Insert and hold the sim ejector tool into the reset hole until you see three light indicators turn red in color. (the reset hole is located on the rear top right side of the device, as shown in an image below).
6. Now keep the device connected to the computer.
Flash the unlocked firmware to JioFi
- Open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool from the desktop shortcut you created earlier.
- Follow the commands exactly as instructed in the following steps.
- Type fastboot devices and hit enter.
JioFi JMR540 Unlock Firmware Download
4. You should see something like (###### can be anything)
If you don’t see this it means either your device is not connected or you didn’t install the fastboot drivers or minimal ADB and fastboot properly. (If you still don’t see fastboot device even after proper installation of the fastboot drivers or minimal ADB and fastboot follow this tutorial.)
5. Now you need to remove the existing firmware in order to install the unlocked firmware. So type fastboot erase system to remove existing firmware.
fastboot erase system
6. Now you should see something like
OKAY [ 1.109s]
finished. total time: 1.105s
This means the default firmware has been removed.
7. Now we can flash the new firmware to the device. To do so type ‘fastboot flash system’ followed by the path or location of the unlocked firmware and hit enter. In my case I’ve stored the the firmware image in D drive so the path is “D:\system.img”
IF YOU FIND THIS DIFFICULT JUST TYPE fastboot flash system AND DRAG AND DROP THE FIRMWARE FILE INTO COMMAND PROMPT AND HIT ENTER
fastboot flash system "D:\system.img"
8. Now you should see something like
sending 'system' (34306 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.276s]
OKAY [ 9.462s]
finished. total time: 10.741s
9. Now give the final command fastboot reboot and hit enter.
10. Now login to the JioFi dashboard (visit http://http://192.168.225.1/) and navigate to Network>Internet Protocol Setting>APN> Set this to manual. APN settings for each carrier are different you can simply visit your carrier website. APN for BSNL – bsnlnet Airtel -airtelgprs.com VI – www
11. Congratulations! You’ve unlocked your JioFi device successfully. Now your device will restart normally and you can use your device with any SIM card of your choice.
Now that you know how to unlock JioFi, share this with your friends and have fun.
Here’s a video that explains the procedure:
Video Credits : The Chosen One] | Subscribe him for more such videos.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to use airtel SIM in JioFi?
How to use other SIM in JioFi?
Is there a way to unlock the JioFi Flash code?
How to use any SIM in JioFi?
Which JioFi is best?
Which JioFi is better?
Can JioFi work with airtel SIM?
Can JioFi work without battery?
Where is JioFi reset button?
Will JioFi support other SIM?
In case if you’re facing any issues, let me know in the comments below. I’ll reply each and everyone of you.